So, my friend Thea nominated me for the Leibster Award, which is kind of like a pay-it-forward interview thing that gets people to open up about themselves (not that most bloggers need encouragement to do that :p ). I’m pretty pleased about this, because I never get nominated for this sort of thing (can’t quite work out why. Maybe I don’t strike people as the sort who’d play along.) So here’s the rules:
Step one, check. Now for step two:
- What is the air velocity of a laden swallow? Is it European or African? Whichever, it’s probably slow compared to the ground velocity of a cheetah. 🙂
- What are your thoughts on Doctor Who? If you watch the show, what are your thoughts on Peter Capaldi as the Doctor? I watch Doctor Who sporadically, mostly only catching season starts and ends. My favourite Doctor was David Tennant. Peter Capaldi strikes me as a bit Willy Wonka-like. Dark and sort of insane.
- If you could have a non-pet animal as a pet (and such an arrangement would, in fact, work), what animal would that be? Ooh, a lion! I’ve wanted one ever since I was five. And I would love him and stroke him and call him Squeee.
- Do you think Pluto should be classified as a planet? Why? Probably not. It is quite far away and not very big…Also, if Ceres, Eris, Makemake and Huamea don’t get to be proper planets, why should Pluto?
- What is your favourite muffin? Chocolate, of course. All other muffins weep before it.
- What is one restaurant you will never eat at again, ever? (And whatever did that restaurant do to you to deserve this?) The John Logie Baird (our local Wetherspoons). Their fry-up doesn’t come with mushrooms as standard. If you order a portion as an added extra, they charge you 75 pence and consider one mushroom to be a ‘portion’ of mushrooms . In my book, this is pure evil. There is never an excuse to be stingy with the mushrooms.
- If you were suddenly two feet shorter, what one change in your life do you think would be the biggest? I would have considerably more difficulty kissing my husband….
- What if you were suddenly two feet taller? That would make me 7ft 10…I’d probably hit my head on all the doorways.
- How do you feel about pie? Not what you think about it. What are your feelings about it? I have so much love for pie. Whoever invented pie is a genius.
- What is something you did (or that happened) in elementary school (5-11 years old) that you are still absurdly proud of? Ummm…I fought such a war of stubbornness with my teacher over a book, that my Headmaster had to end the war by giving me the book. It’s an odd little tale largely to do with my rebellion against not being allowed to keep taking this book out the library because I ‘needed to read other books.’ I read plenty of other books outside of school and I didn’t have this one at home and didn’t see why I shouldn’t keep reading it if I liked it so much. It was actually weeks of my teacher withholding this book and me refusing to read any other before the Head stepped in. The book was ‘Girl’s Adventure Stories of Long Ago’ if anyone was wondering.
- Is there a dream you had as a child that has come true? What is it? If there isn’t one, what’s one that you’re working towards? This is an awesome question, because for me, there are so many. Getting married, having a baby, learning to play the flute, going skydiving, going ice skating, becoming a morris dancer, joining Girlguiding, fire-walking….and there are plenty I am still working on, like writing a book. (17,000-ish words and counting, people!)
My 11 random facts:
- I jumped out of the first plane I ever flew in. Actually, for a few years, I was able to say I’d taken off in a plane but never landed in one. It’s fun to confuse people 🙂
- I have oddly flexible shoulders and some contortionist style party tricks up my sleeves.
- I can wiggle my ears. All the women in my family can.
- If I could live in any book world, it would be Milly-Molly-Mandy’s. Everything is so lovely and simple.
- I really want a tower. Preferably a library tower, with the obligatory sliding ladder. And a fireplace flanked by leather wing-backed armchairs. And my bed over in a corner….
- Everyone thinks my favourite pizza topping is chicken and mushroom but it’s actually beetroot, rocket and goat’s cheese.
- There have been many books that made me cry but the one that made me cry myself to sleep was ‘ The Song of Pentecost’ by W. J. Corbett. If you liked Watership Down, you’ll probably like this book. It’s about a group of mice forced to move from their home, their fearless leader Pentecost, their journey and the characters they meet. But fair warning, it has a sad ending.
- It is hard for me to pick a favourite movie but here’s a few of them. White Oleander. Twister. Little Miss Sunshine. Memoirs of a Geisha. Any of the Bring It On movies (except number two. Number two was awful.) Chocolate (the Thai movie, not the one with Johnny Depp in it.) Nine (the musical).
- I also quite like the film Byzantium, because it was largely filmed in Hastings (UK) where I live. There is a whole scene where one of the characters (Eleanor) is playing piano, which is filmed in the room I got married in. It’s cool being able to see one of my favourite actresses (Saoirse Ronan) hanging out in places I’ve been all my life.
- I wear a lot of purple. A lot.
- I once sang in the Royal Albert Hall. My school’s chamber choir was invited to participate in an event involving a thousand school kids singing a song composed especially for us. I really wish I’d bought the DVD…
- http://boredkidcomics.expectedaberrations.com/ (Thea, I know you already did this for your main blog but I’m running out of people and Kara only has 7 followers….you don’t have to but maybe answer from Kara’s perspective? *cheeky grin*)
That’s all the people I follow with less than 200 followers…I can’t do 11!
My questions for my nominees:
- What’s your favourite topping for pancakes?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be, and why?
- If you could achieve any one goal, money no object, what would it be?
- If everyone who read this had to give a donation to a charity, which charity would you choose and what would be donated? (food, clothes, money….)
- Llamas or alpacas? Which one is best?
- If you could only ever wear one colour again, what would it be?
- What was your dream job when you were a kid? Do you do it now?
- Based only on what you know of me from my blog, what would you buy me if you had to buy me a present? (This question is here because it’s my birthday tomorrow, not because I’m some weird kind of present narcissist.)
- Would you rather be a cat for a day, or a dog? Why?
- If you could pick any world leader and go for a day out with them, who would it be and what would you do?
- If you could answer this question, or give someone a cookie, which would it be? (leave it blank if you gave someone a cookie.)
I hope you enjoyed reading this! If everyone I’ve nominated posts a link back to their answers that would be really cool, but you don’t have to 🙂